It is Tea Recipe time again.
Everyone has their favourite recipes. For some people it is meat dishes for dinner, delightful desserts for the whole family to enjoy or delicious cakes to eat with a cup of tea. Almost all of them are enhanced by using tea in some way.
Make a difference to the flavour of your dishes. Use up excess teas or even just use your favourite tea. After all it is just like adding a herb to your tea recipe. It can add flavour or aid the tenderness of meat. Also, in a cake it can add some texture or even crunchiness. In this fruit crumble it adds to the flavour of the fruit.
A Tea Recipe using Rooibus
One such tea is the South African Rooibos. It is rich in antioxidants and Vitamin C as well as caffeine free so popular as a drink on its own. However in your food it brings some subtle flavours to the dish such as malty, orange, vanilla and sandalwood.
This Fruit Crumble infused with Rooibos tea is delicious if you eat it any time of the day. We had it for dessert after dinner and the leftover was good for breakfast! What other tea recipes do you know which can be used in that way? The ingredients are so good for you and don’t make you feel guilty either. Just think of all the health benefits of tea, fruit, nuts and seeds.
High Tea with Harriet’s Ravishing Red (Rooibos) tea adds a unique flavour to this tea recipe with hints of vanilla, orange and even sandalwood. A combination of nuts, coconut and spices on top provide a range of delightful flavours depending on which nuts you choose to use. I use whichever I have in the pantry but my favourites are macadamia, almonds, walnuts with a few cashews.
Start on this recipe now. It is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, peanut free, vegan (replace honey with an acceptable alternative).
You will need:
3 Apples, 2 pears and cup of raspberries, brown sugar, honey, rooibos tea.
For crumble topping: nuts, coconut, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, brown sugar, cumin, cinnamon
- In a saucepan make up one cup of rooibos tea. Add about 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of honey, apples and pears and cook until fruit starts to soften, approx 8 minutes. Add the raspberries and cook 2 minutes more. The amount of sugar and honey will depend on how sweet you like the fruit.
- Place the fruit into one larger dish or smaller serving size ramekins or similar. Boil the tea syrup until rediced by about half. Pour over the fruit.
- Combine 100grams of nuts ( any can be used: macadamia, cashew, hazelnut, brazil, walnut, almond) Chop roughly. Add 1/4 cup each of sunflower and pumpkin seeds, 1/2 cup coconut, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Spread on baking tray and cook under grill for 3 minutes.
- Spoon crumble on top of fruit. Place under grill until lightly browned and crunchy.
- Serve alone or with cream, ice cream or yoghurt.
Let me know if you have any leftover!